Pilates: a whole body approach to movement.Pilates has been called the ultimate mind-body exercise system, a ‘whole’ approach to movement that emphasizes body alignment, breathing, strength, flexibility, balance, and endurance.
Joseph Pilates (1880-1967) formulated his ideas from his study of yoga, meditation, gymnastics, martial arts, weight training, and calisthenics. Contemporary Pilates continues to build on his original principles and teachings, while incorporating current exercise science and knowledge about the human body.
More than just a series of exercises, Pilates provides a method of achieving intelligent fitness for lifelong health. Pilates teaches consciousness and care during movement throughout our daily life: we can embody its principles in how we choose to sit and stand, to move and breathe, and to work and play.
As a certified Pilates instructor and practitioner, Angela has helped hundreds of clients incorporate its many benefits into their lives.
Benefits of Pilates:
- Improves posture and alignment
- Enhances core strength and stability
- Increases flexibility without stressing joints
- Heightens body awareness
- Improves muscular balance and strength
- Enhances athletic performance while helping to prevent injury
- Improves balance and coordination
- Relieves stress and body tension